Sunday, April 8, 2007

Swing set

One morning, I arrived early to the medical office where I had an appointment. I decided to take a walk in a nearby park. I enjoyed the cool fresh air.


I spotted an empty swing set, so I decided to swing for a while, something I haven't done for many years. While I was swinging, I laughed, giggled, and felt, for a few moments, like a carefree eight year old, fearless and free.


When I was in elementary school, I loved to swing on the swing sets in the park and on the swing set in our backyard. I often dreamed of being able to swing all the way around, making a perfect circle, then returning to my original spot. My current limited knowledge of physics and gravity tells me that this is impossible without some painful bodily injury. Back then, I didn't know that, so I tried and tried. I was sometimes able to swing in a near half-circle, I was almost parallel to the ground. I was fearless.

No comments: