Wednesday, March 21, 2007

#16 (Week 7). Learn about wikis and discover some innovative ways that libraries are using them.

Wikis are interesting. The English version of Wikipedia was my first wiki experience. I started two Wikipedia pages that have continued to grow and evolve without me. These pages are List of superhero debuts and List of supervillain debuts. I started these pages in order to help me prepare for a speech about superheroes that I presented at a branch library during the summer of 2005. I contributed some content to these pages while several other people contributed much more content than I had time and energy to contribute. I really appreciate the collaboration that Wikipedia encourages.

I have also contributed to other Wikipedia articles in English, French and Spanish. I haven’t yet contributed to any Wikipedia articles in German, although my written German is about the same as my written French. I also have three Wikipedia user pages in three languages. They are:

User Page at English Wikipedia
User Page at Spanish Wikipedia
User Page at French Wikipedia
I haven’t made a German page yet; however, I suppose I should.

I’ve dabbled in other languages; however, I don’t know enough of those to contribute to any Wikipedia articles.

Wikipages is pretty interesting. Currently it only covers New York City; however, it may eventually spread to other U.S. cities.

Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki is very useful and has a lot of potential.

The ALA 2006 New Orleans Wiki Main Page looks like it was very useful for the folks that attended ALA 2006 Conference in New Orleans. A wiki like this can be useful for just about any medium to large conference.

The sjplyouthservices wiki is very useful. I haven’t added anything yet; however, I probably will one of these days.

No comments: